I watched this drama on Hulu
This was just a beautiful drama all around, both the visual and the story. As always I enjoyed the woman pretending to be a man aspect and Moon Geun Young hit the nail on the head with her amazing portryal of Yoon Bok. It was very intense as far as looking at human emotions and what really makes people tick. The dialogue was also often very poetic and meaningful. There are some really great quotes in this one.
Though traditional in many ways because it is a saeguk, this drama definitely had its own edginess and added a twist to the gender swap. There was an unclear relationship between Yoon Bok and a Gisaeng that seemed at times to be deeper than friendship. There were definitely some steamy scenes between those two. One thing I really loved about this drama (and hated at the same time lol) is there is no real kissing or sex, yet they manage to make it so sexy without all of that. It definitely plays up the forbiddeness of relationships between her and the gisaeng, her and her master, and her and her adopted brother (I know, what a player right? Get it Yoon Bok!! :P).
Though I usually am not a huge fan of the overly melodramatic dramas, this one was melodramatic in a way that I could appreciate. It wasn’t so twisted and over exaggerated just for sheer entertainment. Instead of playing to the ugly shallow side of human nature (though of course it does have its villains) I think it tried to explore the different types of relationships and emphasize the beauty of them, whether they be sad or happy, accepted or not accepted. It also really looks at how art captures the human soul, the good, the bad, and the ugly. It is definitely one I would recommend. 5 out of 5 stars!!
I got the following information from http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_Painter_of_the_Wind
Shin Yoon Bok is a talented painter who disguises herself as a boy to search for her father’s murderer and meets a master painter who guides her into being a great painter. Kim Hong Do is the man who teaches Yoon Bok how to paint, and they develop a strong friendship of mentor and disciple.
- Moon Geun Youngas Shin Yoon Bok
- Kim Yoo Jung as young Yoon Bok
- Park Shin Yang as Kim Hong Do
- Moon Chae Won as Jeong Hyang
- Park Jin Woo as Jang Hyo Won
- Bae Soo Bin as King Jeong Jo
- Im Ji Eun as Queen Jeong Soon
- Park Hyuk Kwon as Lee In Moon (Kim Hong Do’s friend)
- Ahn Suk Hwan as Shin Han Pyeong (Yoon Bok’s adopted father)
- Lee Joon as Shin Young Bok
- Lee Byung Joon as young Young Bok
- Ryu Seung Ryong as Kim Jo Nyun
- Jung In Gi as Hong Gook Young
- Kim Eung Soo as Jang Byuk Soo
- Lee Mi Young as Mok Kye Wol
- Yoon Joo Sang as Kang Soo Hang
- Han Jung Soo as Seo Jing
- Lee Kyung Hwa as Myeong
- Han Yeo Woon as Jung Sook (Lee In Moon’s sister)
- Im Ho as Lee Myung Ki
- Min Joon Hyun as eunuch
- Yoo Yun Ji
- Jung Yoo Mi
- Choi Soo Han
- Yoon Bong Gil
- Tae Hwang
- Kim Bo Mi